September 19,1990 Women Veterans of America was formed by four
women veterans who were in a support group led by Claudia
Mitzeliotis at the
Brooklyn VA. As the Gulf War was pending and
seemed eminent that a full
scale war was about to begin, the idea of
Women Veterans of America
came about. We had already been
and smoothed out the rough parts
of dealing with the VA Hospital
We knew those women coming home
from the Gulf would need
expertise. We brought to the VA's attention
issues from women who
served in the military. Because the majority
of VA patients were
Women Veterans of America suggested the
following issues should
1. Privacy for patients.
2. Rooms for women patients with private
3. Women's pajamas.
4. Gyn, Mammograms, PAP smears etc.
5. Special medication women may need.
6. Veteran Service Organization's (VSO) understanding
the needs of
women veterans and how to handle their cases.
7. PTSD,Sexual Harassment and Assault
Groups led by
therapists and psychologists.
8. Transitioning from military to civilian